Hiked 0.0 miles, staying at the Appalachian Trail Lodge.
I only have ten miles to do in two days time at this point if I want to summit on my birthday. Since the weather is supposed to be better tomorrow I decided to take a zero in Millinocket today. Barbarossa headed back to the trail today and Carbon stayed in town with me. Why Not was going to take a zero but when she woke up she spur of the moment decided to do the ten miles and then come back here afterwards.
As the day wore on I started regretting my decision as the sky got more and more clear and bright. The storm seems to be stalling and the weather forecast keeps getting pushed back. I spent the morning having breakfast with Slim Jim and his wife. He summitted a few days ago and is spending a few days here. It was awesome to get to catch up with him.
In the afternoon Runnerup decided he wanted to attempt one last food challenge, the Summit Sundae. This is a sundae at the local diner. It is a banana, 14 scoops of ice cream, a Snickers, a homemade donut, all covered in chocolate sauce and whipped cream. It looks about as ridiculous as it sounds. If you finish it you get to keep the bowl, a tshirt and get to write your name on the wall with your finish time. The scary thing is that the record is 8 minutes to eat it. Runnerup managed to finish it in a little over two hours. For the rest of us that weren't struggling through the sundae it was a good excuse to spend the afternoon socializing as we watched Runnerup fight through the challenge.
The weather finally started to get rainy in the evening and tomorrow looks pretty wet. It is a very flat ten miles though and mostly in the trees. Given that it is the last ten miles before Katahdin I don't think it is going to matter much to me what the sky gods throw at me.
No comments:
Post a Comment