Hiked 15.0 miles, staying at the Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket, Maine.
Today I got going pretty quickly. It was a "town" day afterall. Ok, maybe not really a town, but right near the entrance to Baxter State Park is a small general store with hot food and beer and snacks. I've been thinking about the burger that I would get there for the last two days and I wanted to get there around lunchtime to enjoy it.
 |
| Looking up at Katahdin from Rainbow Lake Dam |
 |
| 9 AM photo |
 |
| Katahdin from Rainbow Ledges |
 |
| Leaving the 100 Mile Wilderness |
I did take a short side trail to Rainbow Dam to get an early morning view of Katahdin. It is getting close enough now that I am no longer looking across at it, but I'm now getting under it. A large part of the day was spent walking the length of Rainbow Lake, before climbing up to Rainbow Ledges. The clouds had started to really thicken up and I wasn't expecting to see much from here but when I got to the top there was Katahdin standing tall only about ten miles away now. Barbarossa, Why Not, Oreo, Quahog and myself took a break there to enjoy the view.
 |
| A short roadwalk to the bridge |
 |
| Katahdin from Abol Bridge |
 |
| Crossing Abol Bridge! |
 |
| Looking down the Penobscot as I cross |
At Hurd Brook Lean-to I ran into Slow'n'Steady and Machine Gun Jim. Most people took a break to say hello, but at this point I was on a mission for that burger and it was only three more miles to get it! I made quick work of the miles and stepped out onto the Golden Road and crossed Abol Bridge. There was the general store and I made a beeline for it only to be informed by the clerk that the grill was closed permanently and the restaurant wasn't serving food because the electricity was out. Wow, what a let down.
 |
| Abol Bridge store |
 |
| We all relaxed with some warm beer and snacks |
The store did still have some beer in the fridge that was not completely warm and some potato chips and a couple pre-made cold cut sandwiches. I made do with what they had and hung out at a nearby picnic table as the others trickled in. My original plan had been to camp here for a day and hang out at the store to say hello to people so that I could still summit Friday. With the store having almost no food, no electricity and rainy weather I changed my plan and decided to hitch into Millinocket, fifteen miles away.
 |
| Who me? |
 |
| Gomer phone home |
There is a hostel in town and Carbon, Why Not, Barbarossa and I all got a bunk there. The impromptu trip into town turned out to be a nice way to spend the time. Millinocket is the town that everyone passes through after finishing and many spend the night here after summiting Katahdin. This meant that I got to catch up and say goodbye to a bunch of people that finished a few days before me that I otherwise would not have seen. Handstand, Daddy Long Legs, Pacemaker, Runnerup, Little Engine, Timber and Ambassador all summitted today and I went out on the town with them to celebrate their success with them.
 |
| Carbon is such a gentleman |
 |
| Carbon, Why Not, Barbarossa, Handstand and Machine Gun Jim at dinner |
No comments:
Post a Comment