Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 160: The last trail town

Hiked 0.0 miles, staying at the Lakeshore House.

Today was a perfect day to take a zero.  It rained the entire day, often pretty hard.  I had already made a reservation to stay at the Lakeshore House, the other hostel in town and today I had to switch over to that.  The grocery store in town has recently gone out of business but for a small fee the Lakeshore House will shuttle people to the next town over to do resupply and we put a large group together to go do that.

Shaw's dining room

Shaw's Hiker lounge

The trail used to pass through town and they still have signs
Monson is the last town that I will be in for the rest of the trail so I have to do a rather large resupply here.  Luckily both the hostels do a food drop service partway through the 100 mile wilderness, which means I only have to carry 4-5 days of food at a time, a much more preferable option.

The main street of Monson

Everyone relaxing at the Lakeshore House
The hostel is even more packed today as everyone escapes the bad weather.  The hostels are completely out of space and the Lakeshore house is offering hikers a discounted rate to sleep on the floor.  Many people who were planning to head out today have decided to stay.  This allowed me to get to see Fig, Wrangler, Handstand, Daddy Long Legs, Big Red and Yooper again which was great because I otherwise would have missed them completely.  Luckily I had a reservation so I got a bed.  Also staying here is Doc, Boon, Snickers, Slow'n'Steady and Stripe.  We all spent the day relaxing and watching movies in the hiker lounge.  It was a good day to just sit around, relax and eat junk food.

No comments:

Post a Comment