Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 158: Moxie Bald

Hiked 18.8 miles, tenting at Moxie Bald Mountain Lean-to.

I woke and checked the forecast this morning.  Yep, still predicting thunderstorms for the next four days.  Today actually looked the best with it being overcast till noon, then only eighty percent chance of thunderstorms for the rest of the day.  I decided to get as early of a start as possible to try to get over Pleasant Pond Mountain before the storms hit.  So Why Not and I grabbed the first shuttle back to the trailhead after chowing down on the continental breakfast.

As soon as I got on the trail I ran into Dude and Mallet just packing up.  They soon caught up to me and we hiked together most of the morning.  It was a long slow climb most of the way up Pleasant Pond Mountain with a steep climb at the end.  I got up to the top and the clouds that were so prevalent when I started the day had risen enough that I could see a little bit around me.  I was at least able to see Moxie Bald just across the way.  I spent some time on top of the mountain since it was clear of trees and waited for a while to see what the weather would do.

9 AM photo

Climbing up Pleasant Pond Mountain

On top of Pleasant Pond Mountain

Looking at Moxie Bald from Pleasant Pond Mountain

The clouds are starting to lift a little...

A slightly better view of Moxie Bald
It was a slick descent down the mountain with a long flat section following.  I had only planned on going just to the base of Moxie Bald but when I arrived there the sun had come out.  Moxie Bald is pretty exposed on top and crossing it in the thunderstorms that were expected for tomorrow wasn't desirable so I hopped on the opportunity to try to get over the peak while the sun was out.  The weather started to turn as I climbed but it hadn't hit yet by the time I got to the top.  It was overcast and the clouds were coming in but I still managed to see a reasonable view to the south.

I stayed up on Pleasant Pond Mountain long enough to have a good view west

Headed down from Pleasant Pond Mountain

Moxie Pond

A tough end to an 18 mile day, climbing Moxie Bald

Climbing Moxie Bald

On top of Moxie Bald, awesome sun through the clouds
I spent a while on top of Moxie Bald watching the clouds whiz across the top of the mountain.  As they got thicker I decided it would be wise to get down the mountain.  I hightailed it down to the lean-to which is right on Bald Mountain Pond, right at the far side of Moxie Bald.  Here I ran into Peaches and Firehands and was soon joined by Why Not, Mallet, Dude and Machine Gun Jim.  The clouds were still pretty high at this point and we were all able to get a great view of the pond.  I sat down by the water and ate dinner before retiring to my tent.


On top of Moxie Bald
 
On top of Moxie Bald


Bald Mountain Pond
Why Not at Bald Mountain Pond

My dinner spot

Firehands and Peaches relaxing by the water

No comments:

Post a Comment