Monday, September 16, 2013

Day 167: Last night in the wilderness

Hiked 21.7 miles, tenting at Rainbow Stream Lean-to.

I woke up this morning just in time to catch a fantastic sunrise.  This may be my last sunrise for the trip if the weather report is true.  It is currently calling for rain the next four days in a row.  Hopefully that consolidates to the next three so I get good summit weather.  Fall is definitely here and every day it is getting colder in the morning.  Most days it is not far from freezing.  I don't know how some northbounders don't finish until mid October.

Sunrise at Antlers

Oreo and Quahog

Oreo catches the sun

I can't decide if it looks like I'm breathing fire or my head is exploding
Oreo, Quahog and I dilly-dallied for a while enjoying the vista before packing up and heading out.  The morning was very flat with a tiny bump to go up and over.  I planned to do only 13 miles today but I accomplished this just after noon.  Given that today was so nice and that the weather report was so bleak for the next few days I decided to push on.  This would also allow me to catch back up with Carbon, Why Not and Barbarrosa.

Looking back at the peninsula where Antlers is from further around the lake


Sandy beach further around Jo-Mary Lake

Left of the above photo
From a couple points today I got more glimpses of Katahdin.  It is getting larger and larger in our sights now and you can really see details on the mountain now.  The last one for the day was on top of Nesuntabunt Mountain and it was here that I found Why Not and Barbarrosa along with True and Crank.

View of Katahdin from Pemadumcook Lake

Katahdin


9 AM photo
Like yesterday I spent a lot of today circling around various huge bodies of water.  In fact when passing around Nahkamata Lake I was even walking on the sandy beach for a long ways.  I also spent a lot of the day walking upriver alongside a couple huge rivers.  All in all it made for a very pleasant walk. 

On the shores of Nahmakanta Lake

On top of Nesuntabunt Mountain with Katahdin ever closer

You can see the mountain pretty clearly now


Barbarossa, Crank and I gaze at Katahdin from Nesuntabunt
There is quite a large group at this shelter tonight.  Carbon, Why Not, Barbarrosa, Crank, Oreo and Quahog are all here along with a southbound section hiker Bumblebee and her dog Honey.  This could be our last night in the wilderness and everyone stayed up until dark being social and reminiscing.

I wonder what this person hiked out in if they left their boots behind...

Pollywog Stream

Rainbow Stream

Barbarossa, Oreo, Crank, Why Not, Carbon and Quahog chilling at the shelter

No comments:

Post a Comment