Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 124: Bromley Mountain

Hiked 14.8 miles, staying at Lost Pond Shelter.

Why Not and I met up with Srocket and her family for breakfast today in town.  After a hearty meal they very kindly gave us a ride back to the trail head.  The hike today started out by climbing up Bromley Mountain.  It was a slow steady incline the whole way up.  

9 AM photo

View as I climb Bromley Mountain

View as I climb Bromley Mountain

Looking backwards down the ski slope as I climb Bromley Mountain
About halfway up Handstand came barreling up the trail.  He asked if I left my charger behind.  I replied that I didn't.  Oops he had grabbed Invisible Man's thinking it was mine.  We spent the next 10 minutes or so brainstorming how we could get it back to him.  Luckily some southbounders passed by and happened to be going into town and they kindly offered to drop it back off for us, hopefully he gets it back.  Handstand hiked with me for a good chunk of the morning.

View from the top of Bromley Mountain

The ski lift at the top of Bromley Mountain

Buddy Backpacker and his dad Dion, Buddy is five and is thru hiking with his dad
We summitted Bromley and got a great view.  This was great surprise because it was supposed to rain all day today.  Bromley is a ski resort and it was fun climbing up the ski slope to get there.  After descending down from Bromley it started to sprinkle on and off for the rest of the morning.  Graciously the rain stopped momentarily when we summited the next peak, Styles Mountain, so we stopped there for a lunch with a view.

After lunch it resumed sprinkling and continued for the rest of the afternoon.  The rain paused just as I got to the top of Baker Mountain allowing me to see the surrounding mountains.  It was great that the rain stopped today every time I got to a view point.  The mountains were all covered by clouds which was very pretty.  

View from Styles Mountain, our lunch spot

Crossing a river

Looking backwards after climbing Baker Peak

Looking backwards after climbing Baker Peak
The rain finally started coming down hard as I descended down from Baker Mountain.  I arrived at the shelter and decided it was the perfect place to call it for the night, only 1.7 miles short of my initial destination.  People filtered in and we have a good size group staying here.  Why Not and I are the only AT Northbounders.  Handstand is with us as well.  Chicken man is a LT southbound and Nectar, Magnet, Smithy and Stinky Jesus are AT southbounders.  We spent the evening exchanging information about upcoming attractions and it was fun chatting with people going the other direction.

1 comment:

  1. What especially lovely pictures from Baker Peak. Great the clouds cooperated and that your pix are so easy to save on computer. It's nice to think of you in more familiar territory. The trail names keep getting better and better! Grump is now receives your blog on his iPad. Glad to hear you'll come visit the Island in September!
    Hatsy

    ReplyDelete