Hiked 25.4 miles, staying at the Days Inn in Great Barrington, MA.
I got up nice and really today. The heat index was supposed to be over 100 today and I wanted to crank out a few miles before it got really hot. I passed Obie, Red Knees, Srocket and a little bit later Monk, Booboo and Cash, still in their tents. Apparently they didn't make it that much further than I did last night.
| Morning view from my tent |
| 1500 miles! |
| Danno, OB and I pose for a 1500 mile photo |
| Paused to enjoy the view behind me as I climbed Bear Mountain |
| OB and Danno climbing up Bear Mountain |
| The stone tower on top of Bear Mountain |
| I've reached the top! |
All day I was motivated to keep moving. Hotdog drove out from Boston to do trail magic and I knew she was doing that just on the other side of Mount Everett. I might have thought about taking a swim in Sages Ravine which was a really nice looking river but Gatorade sounded even better. On top of Race Mountain there was a nice long ridge walk with a sweeping view. There were also tons of blueberry bushes with enormous ripe blueberries. I stopped to pick a bunch.
Mt Everett was by far our hardest climb we've seen in a long time gaining 700 feet elevation in .6 miles. It was a tough boulder scramble but I really enjoyed it. The whole day today I felt like I was finally hiking in the mountains again. Tough climbs with great views was the theme for the day. It was hot today but there was also a great breeze that made it so much better.
I got to Guilder Park early afternoon and there was Hotdog! It was so awesome to see her again and she put on quite the spread of trail magic. Trail magic from thru hikers is always really good because they know exactly what we crave. After talking with her a while it sounds like getting off trail was the best thing for her and although I'm bummed she isn't still hiking with us it sounds like she has no regrets about her decision which is the important part. I hung out there for a long time. I met a few new hikers there including Mallet, The Dude, Holler, Stripe, and Fis. I also got to have a reunion with Why Not!
Monk, Why Not and I decided spur of the moment to do an extra 9 miles to Great Barrington tonight. After saying goodbye to Hotdog we headed out. There was a very steep descent in the middle but overall the terrain was pretty nice. We passed through swampy area and the bugs came back out for the last 5 miles or so. This was frustrating but it kept is moving despite being tired and we made great time. We also passed Shay's rebellion monument which if you remember your history lessons was a farmers rebellion against taxes that happened right after the Revolutionary War.
We hitched into town and found a room for the three of us at the Days Inn. After making ourselves moderately presentable we headed downtown for dinner. The reunions today continued when we ran into Oreo and Quahog who I haven't seen since Woods Hole hostel! They were there with Trooper and M80. We had our Massachusetts beer tonight! I haven't been hiking with Why Not since Delaware Water Gap so I missed the last three states, so it was as real treat, thank you again David! After ice cream all of us were ready to call it a day though and headed back to the motel with full stomachs and called it a night.
| View from the stone pile atop Bear Mountain |
| To the right of the above photo |
| Panorama from the top of Bear Mountain |
| 9 AM photo |
| Crossing into Massachusetts! |
| View from Race Mountain |
| Panorama from the ridge walk along Race Mountain |
| Walking the ridge on Race Mountain |
| Walking the ridge on Race Mountain |
| Walking the ridge on Race Mountain |
| On top of Everett Mountain |
| To the right of the above photo |
| Trail Magic! |
| Budweiser, chips and fruit snacks, lunch of champions! |
| Hot Dog! |
| View from Jug End |
| Both Monk and I stopped to enjoy the view at Jug End |
| Monument to Shay's Rebellion |
No comments:
Post a Comment