Friday, July 19, 2013

Day 109: New England!

Hiked 12.1 miles, tenting near Ten Mile River shelter.

I still had a few things to take care of this morning so I got up early and got going on that.  This includes sewing a few holes that have developed recently on my pack.  It was pretty early for both Ralph and Liz but despite this they did manage to get up to see me off and made some breakfast for me.  Thanks to both of them for their hospitality and generosity over the last two days.  I'm so glad we were able to arrange the trip to NYC, I had so much fun.

I ended up catching a cab to Grand Central because I was running late enough that it would have been a problem to take the subway.  I managed to get there in time for the train though and sat down to relax.  I offered the guy across from me my metrocard since it had money left since I took a cab this morning.  He took it and thanked me and we got talking and had a really nice chat most of the way to my stop.

Leaving Pawling I went through a huge field

Boardwalk outside of Pawling
When I got off the train in Pawling there was a big farmer's market going on.  It was fun to happen upon it and I bought a fresh peach to pack out.  When the guy in the next stand over heard I was hiking the trail he offered me a half loaf of fresh bread.  By the way, I think it's funny that nowadays it isn't the pack that starts a conversation with strangers, it is now the beard.  Apparently all the guys are jealous or something.

I finally got back on the trail early afternoon.  The hitch out of town was easy.  A very kind gentleman gave me a ride despite being the opposite direction that he was going.  Shortly thereafter I came to the Appalachian Trail Train Station which was cool to see.  I didn't catch the train from here because it only runs weekends.  Next door is a garden center and I stopped to ask if I could get some water from their hose and not only did they say yes but apparently they also let thru hikers camp out back and sell freeze pops and sodas.  It was too early in the day to stop unfortunately, but I did get a snack and sit down for a few.

The grasses around the boardwalk were taller than me

I've never had a chair point the way to Maine before...

The terrain was pretty easy today with only two short climbs.  Just after the first climb I came upon a group of very attractive ladies so naturally I had to stop and chat.  Oh, there were two guys with them as well. :-P. Seriously though the whole group was a blast to talk to and they performed an impossible feat.  During the entire half hour or whatever that I was there they managed to continuously give me, a thru hiker, enough food that I never had less than three different things in my hands at any given time.  This included a beer which really hit the spot.  Where this smorgasbord of food came from out of their tiny packs I will never know but it was awesome. 

I continued on to Wiley shelter where I met another group of day hikers.  This was a stark contrast to the first group.  While the second group was nice enough it was clear that they didn't want me to invade their little party they had going on so I leafed through the register and moved on.  I probably wouldn't have stayed anyway given that Connecticut was only one mile away from there.

Appalachian Trail train station

Neat water tower outside of Pawling

Cows!
One mile from the shelter I crossed Hoyt Rd and I was in Connecticut!  After 1451 miles I am actually back in New England again.  Wow.  It was sad that there was no border crossing sign though.  It was a quick few miles from here to the next shelter.  When I walked in there was Peepaw with some weekenders.  It was great to see him again and after chatting for a bit I went for a nice long swim in the nearby river.  Sitting in the rapids was almost like a jacuzzi and it was so great to be able to do it at the end of the day where I don't have to hike immediately afterwards.  It was so refreshing.

A little bit after I finished taking a dip, Monk, Obie and Redknees showed up.  I thought they were supposed to be dashing ahead but apparently they too took a day in NYC.  The four of us decided to move slightly downstream to a listed campsite.  What a great spot, I'd say it is one of my favorites of the trip.  Best of all was that there was no bugs, something I haven't seen in at least a month!

This was the best I got for a border crossing sign today

Gasp!  1000 feet high!
I feel like I need to start having a weekly report of who quit the trail now because there have been so many.  I can't remember if I mentioned before but Dinnerparty, 2pac and powderpuff all got off in the last week.  It is really tough to see people dropping like flies.  This heatwave and the bugs is really getting to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment