Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day 108: Blind Opera

Hiked 0.0 miles, staying in NYC.

I spent the morning relaxing and trying to get my blog updated.  Places to access a computer are getting more rare and recently I have been going about a week between updates as you all probably noticed.  This means whenever I finally get to a computer it takes a bit of work to work off the backlog and upload pictures.

The one thing I really wanted to see on my trip into NYC is the 9/11 memorial.  I have not been here since before the twin towers fell.  Ralph joined me on my excursion and we headed uptown.  I am a little confused about the amount of security at the memorial.  It is going to be a public park and it is pretty much finished yet you have to get passes ahead of time, wait in line and go through essentially airport level security to see it.  The footprints of the buildings were far smaller than I felt like I remembered, maybe because I was younger and littler the last time that I was here, but I think the wide open space also gives a bit of an optical illusion.  

The outside of the new World Trade Center is pretty much finished.  I overheard a cop talking to some people about the structure and it sounds like it is just about the most securely built skyscraper ever.  The museum is also complete on the outside, but not the inside so I didn't get to see that either.  I am glad I made it to see it.  The memorial is really well done and I think it is pretty powerful and somber, especially for people my age and older that can distinctly remember those events.  Wow, I just sounded really old didn't I?

The 9/11 reflection pool

The new World Trade Center, the exterior is almost finished



I got to REI later in the afternoon to replace a few things.  I walked into the store and immediately ran into Zip!  He was off trail visiting home.  What a small world!  It was pretty cool to see someone from the trail so far off of it.  I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing.  Liam's parents had come into town to see his opera.  I haven't seen them since I was much littler so it was fun to see them and catch up.

In the evening I joined Ralph and Liz and Liam's parents to go see the production that Liam is in.  The show was really interesting.  It is called "The Blind" and the entire performance is spent blindfolded.  You spend the entire show (including being led to your seat) without the benefit of sight.  The opera singers actually move through the audience and it was a cool sense of immersion that you don't get in a normal show.  The story is about a group of blind people who are led out into the wilderness by a priest who then leaves them to get help and they are left alone trying to figure out where they are and what to do. 

Sight is such a dominant sense that it is really interesting to see how you experience things differently when you take it away and rely on your other senses.  It was a cool concept and I thought it brought more realism to the production because now instead of looking at a set you have a very realistic picture in your head.

We went out to a Thai Fusion place for dinner after the show and the food was excellent.  It was raining as we walked back but walking in the rain is nothing new for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment