Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 64: Speed Demons

Hiked 11.3 miles, staying at the Blue Dog Art Cafe hostel.

Today everyone was up bright and early.  It is a town day after all.  With no views to speak of and overall trending downhill it was easy to just get in the zone and go.  I caught up with Srocket just after a suspension foot bridge and saw her looking at her map.  I queried her on our current distance and found that we were already almost six miles in and only slightly over an hour and a half out of camp.  Holy crap we were flying.  We hadn't planned on being able to make the 1030 shuttle into Buena Vista but all of a sudden this became a possibility.  This would be especially nice because the hitch into Buena Vista is notoriously tough since there aren't many cars that come down that road in the first place.

Crossing suspension bridge

Early morning view of the river
Partway through we passed through the Brown Creek Community, or at least the remains of it.  It was a community that grew up in the late 1800s and early 1900s where many ex slaves settled.  There were foundations everywhere and information signs in many locations.  The one thing that was not listed is why the area was abandoned after the community was established.

9 AM photo
When I got to the shelter I realized I was way ahead of schedule and that I had time to stop and go for a swim at the river.  After a long hike like that the cool water was fantastic.  Unfortunately the next two miles from there to the road was straight uphill, so I was just as sweaty and gross when I finished as before my swim.  Even with my swim though I got there by 10.  12 miles in 3.5 hours?  Not too shabby!  There was a nice picnic area in the shade so we sat there and swatted bugs while doing Madlibs.  The ride into Buena Vista was on a steep hill and we sat and watched the logging trucks struggle up it.

My room at the hostel

Another bedroom

Dip'n'sip took the futon
We are staying in an apartment above a cafe in town.  It isn't the worst place we've stayed but it is certainly not the nicest either.  The laundromat was a loooong walk away and the only place to eat nearby was a local fast food joint.  800 miles on the trail and I still didn't enjoy fast food...  There is an awesome Amish bulk store in town though and they had great sandwiches.  I picked up a few resupply items there and while sitting there the owner offered us fresh chocolate milk that was absolutely to die for.  Dip'n'sip and I drank most of the half gallon.

In front of the Blue Dog Art Cafe
We met up with Rosey Eagle, also staying at the hostel, for dinner at an Italian place.  It was great catching up with him.  Also staying with us are Candypants and OB who are in town for a while so they can be in town for Candypants's birthday on Friday.  It was a scorcher today and I'm glad we spent most of it indoors, but tomorrow is going to be just as hot and we have a 2000 foot climb out of town...

No comments:

Post a Comment