Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 78: Country Road

Hiked 19.8 miles, staying at Teahorse Hostel in Harper's Ferry.
 
After a great night's sleep and a good breakfast we got out on the trail.  We had quite the convoy going this morning for the first few miles.  All four of us were hiking together and were joined by Apple Butter and Hot Dog.  We were immediately greeted by a great view from "The Rocks".  After that we had a few miles of the rollercoaster left to finish.  1.4 miles in we hit a big milestone, 1000 miles!  A momentous occasion that we celebrated by taking a picture and then walking more.
 
Bears Den Rocks

1000 Miles!
It was hot today, 90 degrees.  Everyone was dripping the entire way through the rollercoaster.  Just before the end of the rollercoaster we hit the border with West Virginia.  We proceeded to hike along the border for about ten more miles.  At the initial clash with the border I was carefully looking at my feet to avoid faceplanting on the rock jumble we were clambering over when I physically collided with the border sign.  I managed to break off the corner of the sign with my shoulder, oops.

We've reach the border!

Raven Rocks

Enjoying the day from Raven Rocks

Now that is a room with a view
The rest of the day was flat and theoretically we should have made great time.  However the rocks on the trail were the worst we've seen and in the few spots that there were no rocks there was deep mud. We made very slow progress today.  Most people stopped at the first shelter for lunch, but I wasn't ready to stop yet so I continued on another few miles. 
  
9 AM photo

View near the Blackburn Trail Center


I came to a road and sat down on the picnic bench that was conveniently at the trailhead.  I started talking with Wanderer, a southbound section hiker that was momentarily stopped there and she indicated that right up the road was a gas station and minimart with excellent deli sandwiches.  I also knew that in the other direction lay a pizza place.  Decisions are tough.  The deli won out and I joined her on her quest.  The sub was hands down the best I had on the trail.  Totally random to find a deli of that quality in a gas station, but awesome.
 
After getting back on the trail I ran into Lost and then later I caught back up with Why Not, Dip'n'sip and Srocket.  We slowly clambered over the rocky terrain for the last few miles.  For those that didn't pick up on the post title reference, about 2 miles before the end of the day we left Virginia and entered West Virginia, another huge milestone!  Apparently this border crossing didn't even warrant a sign though as there was none to be found.  You'd think after 550 miles they could at least reward is with a sign...
 
Crossing under the bridge just before we walk over it
The Shenandoah River!

Crossing the Shenandoah River!

One of the bigger rivers we've crossed

Looking North on the river
 It felt a little more monumental when we crossed over the huge bridge over the Shenandoah river.  I can't believe we are actually in Harper's Ferry!  The first stop was the ATC headquarters.  To get to the headquarters you take a blue blaze trail that actually passes through a college campus.  It is actually the first college for African Americans in the country and was stated just after the Civil War. It resides on the grounds that were previously used by both Union and Confederate troops as a training ground during various points of the war.
  
Mounument to John Brown's Raid

Passing through the campus of Storer College

I've reached the mental halfway point!

That is where we are on the trail!
The ATC is a major milemarker for a thru hiker.  It used to be the halfway point on the trail but over the year this has moved around a bit and now resides about thirty miles into Pennsylvania.  It is still the mental halfway point though and only about 40% of the people who start make it here and many that do get off here.  At the ATC you sign in just like we did at the beginning.  They take a picture of every thru hiker that passes through here.  I was thru hiker number 444 to reach Harper's Ferry this year.  I started as 676 in Amicalola.  That means 225 people that started before me have either dropped out or been passed by.  The number is actually probably bigger as not everyone signs in at the beginning since it is inconvenient if you aren't doing the approach trail which only about half do.

We've come a long way!

Relaxing in front of the ATC

Group photo!
I also picked up a care package at the ATC which contained a bunch of cookies.  Thanks mom!  Lost stumbled in and asked for a ride to the hospital.  He had taken a spill and got quite a gash in his leg from a rock.  He is okay but wound up with stitches.  We walked from the ATC to the hostel which was about a mile through town.  The hostel is awesome though.  It is the entire upstairs apartment of a house and is very fancy as hostels go.  We even get blankets and sheets on the beds!
 
Staying here tonight with us are Hot Dog, Apple Butter, Lost, Grizzly and Cinnamon.  Cinnamon is actually getting off the trail and was distributing his resupply box to any takers.  I got a good chunk of my resupply done through him.  We also heard Trench, formerly Big Boot, is getting off the trail.  We are sad to see them go.
 
Lost, Srocket, me, Grizzly, Apple Butter, Cinnamon, Hot Dog, Dip'n'sip, Why Not
We all went next door to The Anvil for dinner.  The food was so-so.  A bunch of us did our part on the all you can eat shrimp special though.  We also did our round of beers for the border crossing we did today.  Thanks again David!

No comments:

Post a Comment