Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 83: Return to the North

Hiked 18.2 miles, staying at Colton Motel in Gettysburg.

We all got up early today and headed out together.  Just on the other side of the park was another milestone, the Mason-Dixon Line!  I am officially back in the north.  I got my obligatory picture straddling the line and then continued walking.

Our sleeping place last night, I brought my inner hobo to a new level

The Mason Dixon Line!

I'm in the north and south at the same time!
Today we passed a ton of shelters.  In the span of three miles we encountered three shelters.  So far all of the shelters in Pennsylvania except one have been double shelters.  That is, instead of one ten person shelter they build two five person shelters.  I haven't determined the reason for this yet, but it is the first time we've encountered it on the whole trail.  It did open the possibility at Tumbling Run shelter for instance to have designated snoring and non-snoring shelters, an interesting idea.  I wonder how many snorers voluntarily exile themselves to the loud shelter.


Why is there a street sign in the middle of the woods?

9 AM photo
Our one view for the day came in the late morning atop Chimney Rocks.  Other than that we were just walking through the green tunnel.  We crossed a ton of roads today too, though this was partly due to passing through the outskirts of Waynesboro Pennsylvania.  The terrain was pretty flat and except for the last three miles, reasonably devoid of rocks.  As a result, the miles flew by and by the time I reached Rocky Mountain shelter at noon I'd finished over 15 miles.  With only three miles to go I decided to just finish the day rather than stop for lunch, so after scarfing a protein bar I pushed on.

Tumbling Run shelter

This is the quiet shelter
The last three miles made up for the rocks we didn't see in the previous fifteen.  In many places it was difficult to tell where the trail went because it was just a large rock field.  When I finally reached route 30 I was starving, but I didn't get the chance to eat as I got a ride within minutes of sticking my thumb out.  The gentleman who gave me a ride wasn't going all the way to Gettysburg but kindly not only gave me a ride all the way there, but also drove me around and pointed out a few things.  He dropped me off at the Visitors Center and Museum.

On top of Chimney Rocks

Chimney Rocks
The first thing I did was figure out what to do with my pack.  There are big signs that say no backpacks allowed.  When I asked if there was somewhere I could put it they asked me to please take it back to my car.  When I informed them I had no car I got a total deer in headlights stare.  Apparently they don't get that situation often.  I finally talked to the head of security who put a special band on my pack so I could walk around with it hassle free.  After all this I didn't end up seeing the museum.  My first priority was food and when I finished that I got a text from Why Not that she and Dip'n'sip had reached the road and were on their way into Gettysburg as well.

When they arrived it was late enough we decided to see the museum tomorrow when there was more time and instead we focused on figuring out where we were going to stay tonight.  We found a great motel with three beds about five minutes bus ride from the museum.  Did I mention that the buses in Gettysburg are free?

We asked about laundry and they indicated that they don't have facilities here for us, but the lady behind the desk offered to personally do it for us in their private washer.  That was really nice of her, then again maybe we just smelled so bad she was worried about health code violations.  

Once laundry was done it was time for dinner.  We were pointed at a restaurant down the street called Eddie's.  At first we were worried about the price, but it proved worth it as the food was terrific.  It might have been the best salad I've had on the trail.  I also got excited when I realized we were now once again in Troegs territory, one of my favorite breweries!  The plan was to do resupply after dinner, but we never made it back out after getting back to the motel.

No comments:

Post a Comment