Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 82: Bums in the Park

Hiked 17.7 miles, cowboy camping in Pen Mar Park.

I left camp early today to allow for the possibility of my first marathon today.  I want to do at least one 30 mile day at some point on this trip and now that the terrain is getting flatter the time to do that is in the next month at some point.

The day was filled with small waypoints every three to four miles which was nice.  It makes the day go by a lot faster I think when you have a bunch of things in close succession to focus on, rather than just hiking 20 miles.  First I hiked to Annapolis Rocks and then Black Cliffs Rocks which both afforded very nice views of Maryland.  Partway to the first shelter I ran into Violet who we met a long time ago and haven't seen in a while.  Next I hiked to Raven Rock Cliff and got my first glimpse of Pennsylvania.

Looking down from Annapolis Rocks

On top of Black Rock Cliffs

To the right of the above photo

9 AM photo, it's getting rockier
I stopped for lunch at Raven Rock Shelter.  This was a very fancy shelter and seemed brand spanking new.  I sat and talked with CrazyWolf and Bumblefoot, two southbound section hikers that were also eating there.  I quickly ate and kept moving.  The rocks have been bad all day and I wasn't moving very fast as a result.  I took the side trail to check out High Rock.  The view was good but I was pretty disappointed in the amount of graffiti all over.  It is sad that some people have so little regard for places like that.

Walking through a hay field

On top of Raven Rock

On top of High Rock
I entered Pen Mar Park in the early afternoon.  It is called Pen Mar because the park straddles the border between Pennsylvania and Maryland.  I was almost at the Mason-Dixon line!  I never crossed it today though.  There was a ton of music going on.  Apparently they have a summer waltz thing for seniors here every Sunday afternoon.  Just as I got there I found Srocket and her boyfriend Jeff sitting there with all sorts of trail magic.  My thoughts for a marathon ended there.

On top of High Rock

Another rocky trail photo

Pen Mar Park

The park has an excellent view of the valley
 I sat there for a while and ate and chatted until Dip'n'sip and Why Not showed up.  As we were finally getting ready to go, the suggestion was made to squeeze into Jeff's car and go get dinner and beer in town.  My arm had to be twisted hard for that one...  While at dinner we got our Maryland round of beer, thanks again David!

Maryland Beer!

View from Pen Mar Pavillion

Sun is starting to set
Pavillion picture with Wolfe
By the time we got back we were feeling lazy, and the sunset looked very promising from the pavilion on the edge of the park.  We decided to stay and watch the sunset.  The view is great and and should provide a cool night skyline of Waynesboro, Pennsylvania.  In true hobo form we decided to cowboy camp in the park pavilion, rather than night hike to the shelter.  I wonder if any real bums will show up to join us?

The sunset did not disappoint

Beautiful clouds during sunset

Nighttime view of Waynesboro, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment