Friday, May 3, 2013

Day 37: Meet Virginia

Hiked 10.4 miles, staying at Crazy Larry's.

When we woke up today Srocket was all better so not Noravirus.  That is good news.  We found out later that there is a lookalike plant to ramps that is somewhat toxic and we think that is what happened.

Bonzai and I ended up hiking together the whole way into town.  I don't remember if I mentioned but he is mid-30s aerospace engineer that is making a life change and going to seminary school to become a Presbyterian minister.  He and I had a really interesting discussion, while walking, about theology, philosophy and tying science and religion together.  He is a really interesting and bright guy with strong convictions.  You don't see many Christians who reject science and believe in literal interpretation of the bible but have very Libertarian views politically and I enjoyed talking with him a lot even if I don't agree with him on most aspects.

Entering Virginia!
About 6 miles into the hike we crossed the border into Virginia!  Another state down and almost 1/4 of the trail finished.  The trip is flying by.  Once we reached Damascus we took the obligatory picture next to the arch there, which is pretty famous on the trail, and then went in search of food.
Damascus, gateway to Virginia and home of Trail Days!
The town of Damascus is about 900 people and like Hot Springs is nicely condensed and good for walking around in.  It is one of the more hiker oriented towns on the trail and I'm pretty sure it must have the highest outfitter per capita on the trail.  We will be back to Damascus in two weeks for Trail Days which is a huge hiker festival.  For 3 days every year the town of 900 turns into a town of 20000.   Most current thru hikers hitch back for it and many alum show up as well.  Along with live music and a hiker parade, most gear vendors have representatives here and will do free gear repairs for thru hikers.  Anyways, for once I can actually say with certainty where we will be at a future date, so if anyone has an inclination to send us care packages, that would be a perfect time!  The address is:

Elliot Miller
C/O General Delivery
Damascus, VA 24236

Somewhere on the box  write "hold for AT thru hiker, ETA 5-17-13"

The blue blaze cafe is newly opened and Bonzai and I went there for second breakfast.  Both of us had a hankering for pizza but they didn't start making that for another two hours.  I decided to give up and just get steak and eggs.  Bonzai decided to get some french toast to hold him over and then preordered a pizza for two hours later and stated his intention to wait.  They have an all you can eat pancakes there, the record was 10 but apparently a thru hiker named 6-7 shattered it today by eating 15 and as a result the place was out of pancake batter.

Bonzai, 6-7 in the booth to the right
We checked into Crazy Larry's after eating.  It is not really a hostel, more so just a guy that takes people into his home.  He only has room for four people here, which worked out perfect for Why Not, Srocket, Dip'n'sip and I.  His main business appears to essentially be a big yard sale.  He buys stuff and sells it on his front lawn, everything from ovens to bikes to chia pets.

Crazy Larry's
I walked around town with Dip'n'sip and ran into Aquaman and Banyon.  Both were feeling much better.  Aquaman informed us that happy hour started in ten minutes so of course we waited around and grabbed a late lunch and beer.

The main street in Damascus
After getting to the library to update you all and exploring Damascus we met up with the ladies and went back to the Blue Blaze for a beer all together.  It was karaoke night and the bar was full of hikers.  How do I know they were hikers?  Well we all dress similar and as Srocket astutely pointed out about some of the other patrons later in the evening, "Only at a hiker bar could you get away with not wearing shoes".  By 9 everyone was having a great time and they had already broken out Journey and 'Total eclipse of the heart' at karaoke, so yeah, it was one of those nights.  Late in the evening a thru hiker named 6-7 led everyone in a rousing rendition of '500 miles' by the Proclaimers, I'm sure no other group of hikers has sung that one ever...

I preach to you the word of the hobo

We all got beers, Why Not went straight for the pitcher

It's me, BLine!

No comments:

Post a Comment