Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day 31: Room with a view

Hiked 14.7 miles, staying in Overmountain shelter.

We had heard from many people that if possible we should stay at Overmountain shelter, so we planned a short day to get there.  We slept in this morning since we didn't have many miles to do.  It entertains me that we now consider 14 miles a short day, what a difference a month makes!

The downside of camping at the foot of Roan Mountain is that immediately upon starting out we had to climb steeply and quickly.  It was a 7 mile ascent up Roan over successively higher peaks.  It was chilly today as it has been recently in the mornings and the name of the game was just keep moving.

Climbing up Roan Mountain
There used to be a hotel on the top of Roan.  It was built in the late 1800s and lasted until the early 1900s.  The most interesting part of the hotel was that it was built straddling the border. There was a line down the center of the dining room marking the border.  This was important because it was legal to drink in Tennessee but not North Carolina.  So you could only drink on one side of the room and there was a sheriff stationed there to arrest anyone who crossed the line with booze in their hand.

Apparently there was a plaque at the top of Roan talking about the history but both Dip'n'sip and I passed by it without seeing it.  Just over the top was the Roan Mountain shelter which is the highest elevation shelter on the whole trail.  It was very fancy as shelters go, being fully enclosed with an actual front door, a fireplace and a second story with a trap door.

Since there was no view from Roan I waited to stop for lunch until Round Bald.  This was the first of many we walked over today.  I made good time and I got to relax on the top for almost an hour before the other three caught up.  To get to the top of Round Bald you cross a road and then it is less than a mile up a gravel path of shallow grade to the top.  Partway up I came upon a lady who was berating her husband about how long a walk it was from the parking lot and how he owed her for walking all the way up with him to see the view.  I laughed to myself as I passed them.  This folks is why America is fat.

Chimney from one of the old outbuildings of the hotel

On top of Round Bald

Looking back at Roan Mountain from Round Bald

Looking ahead to Jane Bald and Grassy Bald behind that

View from Round Bald

Looking back down the trail from Round Bald

Packing up after a long lunch
 Over the next few miles we went over bald after bald in the process of descending from Roan.  A past thru hiker told us that the 10 miles after Roan were his favorite of the while trail.  I can see why.  You are about 2000 feet above everything around you and have 360 degree views for the duration.  I was enjoying it so much I even took the half mile side trail up to the top of Grassy Bald which was fantastic.  Grassy Bald was actually (I think) higher than Roan Mountain.

Headed towards Jane Bald

View from Jane Bald

Dip'n'sip admiring the view

That's me on Jane Bald!
Plaque on top of Grassy Bald

Looking down on Round Bald and Roan Mountain behind it

View from Grassy Bald

View of Hump Mountain (where we go tomorrow)

Grassy Bald

Grassy Bald
From there it was another 4 miles to the shelter.  This place is great.  It is an old barn that is rated for 20 hikers but you could easily fit 50.  By my last count we are at 30.  It is a shelter everyone wants to stay at so tons of people are here.  The location is amazing.  You can see the whole valley from here.

View from my sleeping bag

The lower deck of the shelter

The side of the shelter (window to the upper deck on top)
Most people are staying in the loft where it's warmer, but a brave few like myself, Dip'n'sip and Chaos (who did a 25 mile day today to catch us) are staying in the lower section underneath the loft that is open on one side.  From my bag I have the most amazing view and if the rain holds off tomorrow morning the sun will rise directly in my line of sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment