Thursday, April 18, 2013

Through hiker thoughts

I wanted to also follow up on a recent post that Srocket made.  People wonder what do thru hikers think about.  Well this morning I randomly had the winter song "Over the river and through the woods" stuck in my head. Don't ask I have no idea how it got there.  Well I very quickly got sick of it so I started making up my own lyrics and in a half hour or so of walking I had 10-15 verses made up and I thought I'd share a small selection with you all, stay tuned for the release of the hit single:

Over the mountains and through the woods
To Maine I surely go
The blazes we follow
camping at shelter and hollow
along the muddy trail.

Over the bridges and through the towns
2000 miles I hope to see
Whether NOBO or SOBO
we're basically hobos
hikertrash are you and me

Over the hills and on through the swamps
to Maine we quickly fly
Be careful it's hot
The arctic it's not
Forget sunscreen and you'll fry

Over the rivers and fording through creeks
to Katahdin we will soar
Some people don't understand
Our love of the land
They ask "Whatever for?"

Wearing our backpacks and hiking boots
On foot we walk all way
We wake at first light
We sleep when it's night
We walk all freaking day

Onwards we walk with aching feet
Some people think we're insane
But through the highs and the lows
The saying still goes
No rain, no pain, no Maine

Regardless of weather we hike through the heather
Through wind and sleet and hail
So raise your nalgenes and toast
we're tougher than most
our feet are hard as nails!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I am Kerry's Aunt and wanted to say hello and tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your pictures, they are awesome! I love your new lyrics!! I hope you continue to have good weather and keep enjoying the AT! I look forward to your coming posts! Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Deb and for the well wishes! We've been very impressed by the number of people that we introduce ourselves to and they say "Oh you are Srocket and BLine, Srocket your aunt posted on my blog about you guys!". It sounds like you are enjoying everyone's journals!

      Delete