Saturday, April 6, 2013

Day 10: Zero Day

Hiked 0.0 miles, staying in Franklin.

Yep, that's right folks, we took our first zero day today.  All of us really wanted to get back on the trail today, especially with the nice weather that we had today, but we struggled to squash the temptation.  We all had a bunch of errands that needed to be accomplished and with the longer day we had the other day we decided we should rest our knees so we don't break ourselves right off the bat. I took care of mailing off my camera to be fixed.  My parents very generously said that they will loan me their waterproof camera while mine is being fixed and I should get that in a few days when we reach the Smokies. Thanks to them you should see photos again soon, until then check out the blogs of other people we've been hiking with, I added them to the sidebar.

I also bought a new tent today.  As I indicated in an earlier post, mine is getting quite ancient and well used and I decided that I would be much more comfortable for the next six months if I replaced it. Unfortunately it does mean that I add 5 oz to my pack weight, booooo!

Aside from those two major errands I also resupplied and explored Franklin. Franklin is a cool little town, much bigger than Hiawasee. Backpackers stick out like a sore thumb even without our packs, it's probably got to do with our amazing sense of fashion, and purple on the street will frequently strike up conversations with us and ask us if we are thru hikers and about out trip.

We ran into our first southbounders today. They started in August and took a month off this winter due to bad snow and are just finishing up. Best of luck Snowman and Riverdog! We won't expect to run into this year's class of southbounders for a few months yet though. 

Food highlight of the day was definitely dinner. There is a pizza place/bar (Vito's) that will come pick up hikers and bring them to the restaurant. The food was great. We also like to try local beers, and one of the beers we had was called 'Rocketgirl' from Ashville, needless say Srocket got a picture of herself next to the tap. For a zero day we certainly didn't sit on our butts. Overall we probably walked about 8 miles over the course of the day. I think it was good though, feels good to stretch your legs without the pack on. We are all itching to get back on the trail though!

No comments:

Post a Comment