They say it takes 3 weeks to develop a habit. Well last night I forgot to set an alarm and still woke up only ten minutes late. Guess I'm in the habit...
We started the day with a quick hard climb up Snowbird mountain. Snowbird is a bald and unlike the other balds we have been on the trail here was very well marked with little posts. On top of Snowbird is an FAA tower and a spectacular view. A few minutes after we got to the top, while we were admiring the view, the guy who works there showed up and invited us inside. It was all 60s technology but it was still cool to see. The facility is just a beacon that broadcasts information to aircraft. A lot of airplanes pass overhead so there.were a lot of neat intersecting contrails. He also talked a little about shutdowns that happened due to yesterday's Boston bombing.
| Climbing up Snowbird |
| The trail on Snowbird |
| Panorama from Snowbird |
| Snowbird FAA Tower |
| X marks the spot! |
Max Patch is one of the biggest bald we've seen. We were out of the trees for a long time. The top has an awesome view and we hung out there in the sun for a while and ate lunch. I know we had just had burgers, but thru hikers can take down a lot of food. There was a group of older day hikers up top and we answered questions and chatted with them for a while. They were apparently from Hendersonville (where my grandparents were from), I asked if they knew them but apparently not.
| Max Patch |
| View from Max Patch |
| Thru hikers relaxing on top of Max Patch |
| Srocket takes in the view |
| Heading down the trail from the top of Max Patch |
| Tent city at Unnamed Gap |
You hike is looking amazing...but for the time being I'm a bit mad at you. I read day 20, then your "Over the river and through the woods" verses. Then I couldn't help but read your entire day 21 post as though it were "Over the river and through the woods" verses...it'll probably be stuck in my head for days now. :)
ReplyDeleteKeep the daily updates coming, we love reading them to follow along virtually.
Haha that's awesome. I can sympathize though, it was in my head for the whole day while walking!
Delete