Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 136: Lazy Zero

Hiked 0.0 miles, staying in Lincoln, NH.

Today I did absolutely nothing and it was great.  This is the first zero on the whole trail where I didn't have at least one thing I needed to accomplish and I spent a large part of the day lounging.  The house is full of hikers.  Beardo recently finished a thru hike of the AT.  Also staying here is a friend of both Beardo and Why Not, Swami.  He is a particularly accomplished hiker.  Recently he did 12 long walks back to back all over America, hiking a grand total of about 14,300 miles in only 18 months.  It was fun to talk to both of them and share stories.  Beardo also builds base guitars as a side business and it was awesome to see some of the finished product around the house.

Late in the afternoon Beardo, Swami and I set up the ping pong table in the basement and spent an hour or two playing before heading out to dinner.  I wanted to make sure to hit up one of my favorite local restaurants, the Woodstock Brewery.  While there I ran into a bunch of hikers.  With the rain yesterday and today a there is a bunch up of a lot of hikers waiting for the weather to break.  Beetlejuice and Srocket got to town today and they joined us briefly for drinks along with Srocket's boyfriend who drove up to see her. 

The coolest reunion though was when I ran into Vitamin-C.  The last time I saw him was at the trail magic at Woody Gap.  This was 21 miles into my thru hike, over 1800 miles ago!  We both have bigger beards since then, I barely recognized him.  Wow did we have a lot to catch up on.

On the way home we picked up Beardo's wife, Sweet Pea, at the bus station in Plymouth.  She was hiking the AT down in Connecticut and New York to finish a few miles that she missed on her thru hike.  We celebrated by getting some ice cream on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment