Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 129: The Lookout

Hiked 16.0 miles, staying in Woodstock, VT.

I was reminded this morning of one of the downsides of shelters as the Geezer Guys got up at 5 am and weren't the least bit quiet about packing up.  The other three of us tried hard to doze through it but were mostly unsuccessful so we all just got up and got going.  It was a long steady up this morning over a bunch of unnamed peaks.

The trail got kind of steep this morning

The Lookout
At the top though there is a cabin in the middle of the woods called The Lookout.  It is a cabin that was bought by a local resident and then turned into a place for hikers to stay.  It is an empty building with a loft so it is essentially like a shelter with windows and doors but the great thing about this place is the widow's walk that is up on the roof.  From up on top you are above the trees and get a great view of the surrounding area.

View from the Lookout

View from the Lookout

View from the Lookout, Ascutney Mountain in the background

View from the Lookout
My plan had been to stay here last night and I'm glad that I didn't.  The rain yesterday would have obscured the view and today was sunny and clear.  I could see Killington behind me and Moosilauke ahead.  We are in the transition zone between the Green Mountains of Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire so we are climbing a lot of smaller peaks with not much to see.  So it was great to be able to see the surrounding area.

View from the Lookout, Killington on the far right

View from the Lookout

Me on top of The Lookout

Inside The Lookout
From the cabin I descended down to VT 12.  During the process I passed over Ascutney Mountain.  This was fun because it was yet another mountain that I have skied at.  I reached the road and walked a few hundred feet to a local farmstand.  They are famous for having miniature pies that the hikers can buy.  Unfortunately they were sold out but I did get some boiled eggs, fresh raspberries, an apple and some hummus to add to my lunch.  Why Not caught up to me there as I was relaxing and eating out front.

Peeking through the trees at the mountains around me

Walking through a mountain meadow as I approach VT 12

The farmstand on VT 12
Tonight Why Not is staying with a friend who lives just off the trail and I have been invited to join.  Her friend doesn't get out of work until four so we killed time just relaxing on the front porch of the farmstand.  It was a quick 2.5 miles to walk the remainder of our miles today, up and over two small peaks.  The place we are staying tonight is a short walk up a dirt road and is in a beautiful setting.




My awesome evening meal!
A guy with the trail name Furniture hiked the CDT at the same time as Why Not last year and the house we are staying at is the parents of his girlfriend.  They welcomed us with laundry and showers and then proceeded to make us a fantastic meal including veggies from their garden, fresh fish, homemade sourdough bread and a fruit salad with rasberries that they sent Why Not and I out to pick.  I worked really hard to eat no more than half of what I picked.  It was a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment